Saturday, April 30, 2011

Housing issues in Beirut

Beirut always been a crowded city. The 300$ 2 bedroom apartment I used to rent is 600$. I left in 2006 paying 300 what happened in 5 years? All my friends , my family and people I know tell me prices are crazy and it is really hard to find an apartment for rent.

People from all over the country in the last 5 years moved to Beirut searching for a job, sending their kids to schools and universities..... Beirut is over crowded I have 4 members of my family facing housing issues.

My Aunt who is stay at home mom and have 2 kids to raise, her husband who work as a guard for the city that doesn't pay him more then 600 or 700$ with all the benefits included. The apartment she live in is 200$ a month she been there for 10 years, now the owner of the place can not afford to keep his second condo so he tell her that by the beginning of May he will let her know if she have to move out. Where is she going to go? with 700$ income a month... Her husband thinking to quite his job and take his family and move to his old family house in the village and start a new life there..." it will be cheaper, we will have a roof over our head and we might be able to survive" he said with so much sadness and disappointment in his voice.

My Cousin who is married and have a new born daughter had to move back in with his mom because he could not pay his rent anymore working 2 jobs a taxi driver at night and a bus driver during the day.

His sister , her husband and 2 babies plus one on the road own the house they live in ( of course there is mortgage) decided to sell the place and move also to man's village so he can keep up with expenses schools, food, water.....

Last but not least my uncle 55 years single man who lived all his life in a small tiny studio, who work as a security guard for 600$ a month. The building owners sold it out and the new owners wants to demolish the old building and they are kicking everyone out with nothing more then couple of thousands ...

If I have 4 family members who are facing this crisis how many other people are in the same situation??? what's the solution??? Beirut does not fit anymore...

Marcel

No comments: